Thursday, April 21, 2011

Top 5 Video Games

I, like many from my generation, love video games. It started for me in 1993 when my parents got us a Nintendo Entertainment System along with classics such as Mario, Duck Hunt, Street Fighter, and Batman. It broke a few years later, and I didn't own another system until the Playstation One (which was called just Playstation then), which I got for Christmas in 1998. Since then, I've owned a Nintendo 64, an XBOX, a Playstation 2, and the great Playstation 3.

Figured I'd post my 5 favorite games...

#5 Rome: Total War (PC)




The only PC game on my list. This game is deep, and while improvements to later installments in the Total War series have better graphics and a few more options, R:TW grabbed one of my favorite topics (Ancient History) and threw me right into the middle of it. The Romans, the Greeks, the Seleucids...all are yours to control and make history the way you see fit.

#4 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2)



While GTA 3 and GTA:Vice City were both fantastic, GTA:San Andreas contained so much to do! The free-roaming game play mixed with killing random people for fun was a good way to kill an hour...or eight.

#3 Fallout 3 (PS3)





I had never played the Fallout series when Fallout 3 was released in '08. And no wonder, the previous Fallout games were released in the 90's. Much like GTA: San Andreas, the game world is huge, the options are numerous, and killing a pack of Super Mutants with the Fat Man is always a blast.

#2 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3)


Made by the same developers as Fallout, Oblivion has all the same characteristics, but no guns. Oblivion is more mythical in nature, with elves, and orcs, and trolls, etc., being the main antagonists. Probably the one game I have spent the most time playing, and I wouldn't even want to try to figure out how many hours I have put into it. Open-world and fun, I couldn't put it down.

#1 Metal Gear Solid (PS)




Oldies are always goodies, and this oldie tops my list. Released in 1998, this was the first game to really hook me in and make me realize that decent plots could be inserted into games. A great story, great game play, and top notch voice acting (Sa-nake-ah!) made this a really enjoyable game, and the experience of felling Liquid at the end off the top of Metal Gear Rex is a-one.

Honorable Mention: WWF No Mercy (N64), FIFA 11 (PS3), God of War (PS2), Spartan: Total Warrior (PS2), Syphon Filter (PS), Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec (PS2), Medieval II Total War (PC), Nascar Racing 2003 Season (PC).

No comments:

Post a Comment